A decade and a half in Europe and suddenly I find myself interested in the sports leagues I once felt isolated from. Thanks to the Internet and new sports networks playing North American fare, I'm back in the game again.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Championship Blown

Like everyone I expected a blow-out Monday Night. It was...Except it was Florida handing it to OSU.

Let's face it; the Big Ten hates bowl season. 2 - 5 this year. I underestimated Wisconsin and only picked Penn State because they're not really Big Ten. I picked Michigan because I'm obligated to pick my favourite team, but if you had required me to put my life's savings on a team in the Rose Bowl, I would have taken USC.

The Buckeye's were supposed to be the exception. Dominating all year including two wins against number 2 teams (Texas & Michigan) with a Heisman Trophy winner and one of the best scoring defenses in the country, they were supposed to walk in and pick up their trophy and leave the rest of the country to debate who really should have been there for the beating.

Heisman Jinx? Big Ten Woes? Too much Hype and expectations? Take your choice, the OSU team that showed up in Arizona did not at all resemble that other team. They looked clueless, out of sync and were completely outclassed by a Florida team that looked very much like everyone thought the Buckeye's should look.

51 Days. That's the longest lay-off between a last game of the season and a bowl game ever. The problem is, the Big Ten will always have this as long as the system stays like it is. They end their season at the minimum a week before everyone else and they have no play-off or championship game. Some might think a long lay-off is a good chance to get those injured back into service, rest and plan for a tough opponent. Michigan and Ohio State are proof that it is the opposite. It takes you out of your game. Your edge is gone.

A recent article I read pointed out that the Big Ten commissioner, Jim Delany, was against a play-off system because it didn't serve in the best interests of the Big Ten. I wonder how many times the conference has to look like fools on bowl day before he changes that frame of mind? If I am a top player looking for a chance to shine and win Championships, I'm looking at the Southeast Conference and even the Big East right now. Forget the Big Ten. Sure, I can have a fun season, but my Holidays are going to stink.

Being gone from the U.S. for so long, it all is strange anyways. The rivalries and bowl match-ups are different. We might as well change everything and get it close to right. With so many schools and a sport that cannot sustain a 64 team field, it will never be perfect, but so many signs are pointing to the need to sort out these championships on the grass and not through an imaginary and imperfect vote.

My future posts will be more about American sports in the Benelux, although major events like the Superbowl and other championships cannot avoid attention. I hope you'll all check us out every now and then and don't hesitate to post questions if you want to know how you can enjoy your favourite sport while over here in Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home